Sunday, August 3, 2008

Green

Green, all I see is green—
tiny buds and blossoms
opening to Spring.
I’ll lay down in the grass, cross my arms behind my head
fold my jacket for a pillow, forget everything I said.
Staring into nothing and everything.
Bending like a willow in the winds of time
if I can just stay green.

Green, the water is so green.
Tiny fish and bubbles
adrift in the saline.
Floatin’ on my belly givin’ gravity a break
feels like I’m dreaming but I’m wide awake.
Swimming past the shallows into the deep.
Flowing like a wave into a sea of life
if I can just stay green.

When I walk the city sidewalks know it brings me down
the color of my dreams turn black, grey, and brown.
With my head so full I cannot see a thing
until I learn the art of forgetting.

Green, color me in green.
Emerald and verdigris and every shade between.
When my days are over and you lay me in the ground
cover me with clover far away from town
and let the grass grow way up high
and cover me in green.
Lingering after sunset like a flash of light
if I can just stay green.

©2005 L.App

No comments: