Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Multi-Instrumentalist

In an interview with Lawrence, he talked about the instruments he plays.

"I'm actually more out of practice with some instruments now than I was at my peak ten years ago. I've tried not to be quite so much of a jack of all trades. The instruments that I have at least some performing proficiency on are. I consider myself to be primarily a vocalist, with guitar as my main instrument, although I play a number of different guitars within that generic category.

Guitars: I play acoustic and electric guitar. I used to play other things like 12 string guitar and slide. I don't really do that so much any more.

Bass: I play fretted and frettless electric bass and have done quite a few gigs professionally on bass.

Steel Drums: Steel drums are really my second ax right now after guitar.


Keyboards: I also play some key boards.

Drumset: I play trap drums, even got out in public and did that professionally for a little while.

Hand percussion: I play a lot of hand percussion, which I've also backed off of because as I've gotten older I've started having more problems with my hands. So I'm not as anxious to beat on things with my hands. I played congas for quite a few years. Did that professionally. And then a lot of ethnic handdrums:

Djembe, Dumbek, Ashiko drums, Timbales, I don't even know how many percussion instruments, quite a few, if you include the smaller ones as well, probably twenty different percussion items. Shekere, A-Go-Go-Bells. There are so many it's hard to think of them all.

Table? I don't play Tabla. I've always wanted to. It's one of those instruments where the learning curve is pretty steep at the beginning, so I've never gotten past that.

I've played a lot of different instruments, even gotten to a level where I was comfortable enough to go out and do it in public, but like I've said, I'm trying to focus more just on singing and guitar, and steel drums, though I do still play some gigs on bass."

No comments: